Pension Information

Employees of the University usually pay National Insurance Contributions and into the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS). Your right to a pension might depend on the years of contributions (there will be a minimum for the state pension) and what country you will finally retire in. A useful site to check your pension history for scientific careers in Europe is

Immigration Information

Useful information about the UK Visa regulation can be found here. EEA and Swiss citizens generally don’t need a Visa to live and work in the UK. You can check by country, if you require a Visa to come to the UK here. Please be aware that changing the type of Visa you are on (e.g. from Tier 2 to Tier 5) might require you to leave the UK and apply from your home country.

Getting to Dundee

By air

Dundee has a small airport 3 km (1.9 mi) from the centre of Dundee. Flybe has regular flights to London Stansted Airport.

Other UK and international destinations can be reached from Glasgow, Glasgow Prestwick, Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports. A direct train runs to both Glasgow Prestwick and Aberdeen (Dyce) airports: to travel to Glasgow or Edinburgh, a connecting bus runs from the train station to the airport terminal.

By rail

The Eastcoast and Westcoast mainline trains run from London up the respective sides of the UK. The Eastcoast mainline runs through Edinburgh to Dundee and on to Aberdeen. The Westcoast mainline runs to Glasgow: from here you can connect to Dundee, via Perth. Timetable information can be found at National Rail Enquiries

By road

Dundee is readily accessible by road. From Edinburgh take the M90 to Perth, then the A90 to Dundee. From Glasgow take the M80 to Stirling, the M9/A9 to Perth, then the A90 to Dundee. From Aberdeen take the A90 through Forfar to Dundee. In the UK, motorways are signified by an ‘M’ prefix, and dual carriageways (2 lanes with barrier between directions) / major road links are signified by an ‘A’ prefix. Smaller, local roads are signified by a ‘B’ prefix. The speed limit on a motorway / dual carriageway is 70 mph (112 kph).

By bus

Within Dundee, there is a good public transport network run by National Express Dundee, and some of the bus stops have real-time information about services. You can access the latest bus route and service information to help plan your journey by using Dundee City Council's route planner. Tickets can be purchased on the bus: on most buses, you will get your ticket from and pay the driver, but on some buses there are conductors who will collect your fare. Outwith Dundee, Stagecoach East Scotland operate most journeys. Journeys can be planned at Traveline Scotland.

By taxi

There are two types of taxi in the city: private hire and streetcars. Private hire cars must be booked by phone, as they are not licensed to be hailed. They are identified by a white ID plate. Streetcars can be prebooked, hailed or picked up from a taxi rank, and are identified by a yellow ID plate. Fares vary with distance, time of day and if there are additional passengers: the fare is normally shown on a meter.

Where to stay

If you are visiting Dundee for a short period of time, there a numerous hotels and B& Bs to stay in. Centrally localized hotels include the Apex Hotel, the Premier Travel Inn (several in Dundee, ‘Discovery Quay’ is the most central) and the Swallow Hotel. Other hotels and B& Bs are available. Accommodation can also be rented on a short-term basis. Unite and Athollbank Guest House can be purchased individually or through the University (on request).